New Project Announcements


It's been another long stretch since the last update here but things are finally happening around the studio. We've had quite a few projects starting up and completing since the last update and I expect the frequency of posts to (finally) pick up. I'm going to go through some announcements here and then add some much needed WIP updates.

This month is the first ever themed month I'm trying out over on my Deviant Art. Since we're eagerly awaiting the release of Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate in early 2015, I've been uploading monthly entries in my circular emblem design series. For the month of August, I'm going to be focusing specifically on designs based off the various subspecies of the main-line creatures. Right now the plan is to upload a new design Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for the rest of the month. As explained in the DA post, many of them will be reworked versions of existing designs and some will be re-drawn completely from the ground up.

One of my designs, Blade Crest shown above was used for a perler sprite project recently. Commonly seen all over the internet, perler beads are these small plastic beads you mount on a pegboard and then iron to fuse them together. This is a very popular medium for creating art based off of video games due to their pixel composition. The design shown above was created by an artist named Meltpixel on Deviant Art. I would like to see some more designs done in this style and am working on the framework for a new project as a collaboration with Meltpixel. More to come on that later.

Wearable Mask Project

I mentioned in the last post that I was working on a wearable papier mache mask. Using Dan Reeder's techniques in this video, I wanted to try and make something similar while adding a twist of my own. As you can see in the first picture, I created two shells of my entire head using layered aluminum foil. I didn't have wire mesh so that was the next best thing. I then covered the shells in a layer of sheets and glue to give the whole thing a rigid form. For this mask,  I used the shell on the left in the first picture above.

The second picture actually shows the shell in the middle after the construction phase. While it's not surprising, this mask will have a demonic shape and I went with a horned demon with many fangs and jewels set along its head. The two faces next to the shell are going to be part of the mask as well. I'll explain a bit more about that in the next update.

That's everything for now. I'll be following up with the rest of the WIP shots of the mask soon and any other updates regarding studio projects will be added as well.