Halloween and Beyond: The Thorn Rebuild Project

 Fall Greetings, 

The seasons have officially changed and we are now plowing headlong into the Fall season. This year for Halloween, I want to do something different from previous years. In the past, I've developed entries in the long-running story of the Faceless Summoner. While I don't intend to abandon that project, this year will be the start of something I haven't attempted before.

Long ago, when I first started creating Papier Mache monsters, one of the first I ever posted anywhere was a gremlin-like creature named Thorn. He was a full-sized monster covered in spikes and lived in my work office for a while. When I moved in 2018, I packed up all of my sculptures, dragon heads, masks, and full-sized pieces and took them along. Many of them are in storage with the dragon heads hanging in my garage. The move was not kind to Thorn, however and the following pictures shows his current state:

It might be tough to make out in the pictures but most of his spikes were broken and his overall position sort of sagged down to the ground. For comparison, here is what Thorn looked like when I made him:

As part of an experiment, I plan on "rebuilding" Thorn. I will be completely revamping his spike concept in addition to adjusting his position. The plan is to reinforce his body and limbs, add new details, and then re-skin him entirely. Finally, this will result in a brand new coat of paint. Unlike the original, the idea this time is to incorporate the blackwashing effect to give some better shadows.

While this project is officially launching this month, I don't know if it will be completed by Halloween. I plan on capturing all the phases of the rebuild and will compile them into a full video for Youtube. This format tends to be better than smaller sporadic updates so the next time I post here should be with the finished piece. 

I don't plan on going back to rebuild all my old works but this project will be a good test to see how effective it ends up being. 

Stay tuned!